Worcester completed the double with a nail-biting 27-25 win over Bristol to boost their hopes of avoiding relegation from the Gallagher Premiership.

Warriors won 52-7 at Sixways back in October but they had to work much harder for this success and by overcoming a number of setbacks and two yellow cards to pick up a crucial win.

Ted Hill, Josh Adams and Ben Te’o scored their tries with Duncan Weir converting all three and adding two penalties.

Luke Morahan and Callum Sheedy scored tries for Bristol. There was also a penalty try award with Sheedy kicking two penalties and a conversion.

Worcester suffered a pre-match blow when powerhouse wing Bryce Heem withdrew through family commitments.

Three minutes into the game, they received another blow when fly-half Jono Lance was forced to leave the field for an injury assessment before Warriors fell behind to a penalty try award after Niall Annett collapsed a driving line-out to pick up a yellow card.

Lance failed the assessment so Weir remained in his place before Worcester, despite still playing with 14, responded with their first try when Hill rewarded a period of pressure to crash over.

Annett returned before Bristol regained the lead when Morahan finished off a flowing three-quarter move with the visitors’ defence being easily sucked in.

Worcester soon replied with their second try when Adams made good ground down the left flank before the ball was recycled for well-timed passing to create a try for Te’o.

Weir’s touchline conversion put the visitors in front for the first time but the lead was short-lived as Sheedy knocked over two 45 metre penalties in quick succession.

The lead changed hands once again when Hill made another telling burst before a superb long pass from Weir sent Adams flying over in the corner. Weir fired over another excellent conversion and a subsequent penalty for Worcester to lead 24-18 at the interval.

Six minutes after the restart, Weir kicked his second penalty as Worcester continued to be the better side and they were almost rewarded with their bonus try but Weir was just short of grounding the ball.

Worcester looked likely to hang on but Bristol raised their game for Sheedy to see a gap and dart over before the outside half was replaced by Ian Madigan with 14 minutes remaining.

Bristol were rejuvenated and a tremendous run from Chris Vui took his side to within five metres of the opposition. Te’o was shown a yellow card for a deliberate offside and Bristol looked favourites but Madigan’s penalty from half-way sailed wide for Warriors to celebrate.