Ayr continued their recent run of good form with a comfortable victory away to Uddingston on Saturday.

Batting first they got off to a decent start, with openers Michael English and Neil Flack putting on 47.

The dismissal of Flack started a mini collapse as they slipped to 62-4, before a stand of 75 between English and Scott McElnea restored the momentum.

English departed for 82, but Hamza Tahir kept up the pace with a contribution of 45 with McElnea, who was trapped lbw by Lyons for 66 as another flurry of wickets saw Ayr being bowled out for 216 in the final over.

McElnea then made an immediate impact with the ball as he dismissed Mughal with the third ball of the innings before there was a 20-minute delay for rain.

On resumption, Flack and McElnea made further inroads to leave Uddingston struggling on 27-4.

Gul and Jawad then made the only notable partnership for the home team but the Ayr bowlers were still on top as the slowed the run rate down with some good accurate bowling, baked up by excellent ground fielding.

The visitors kept chipping away at the wickets column with English, Tahir and Jonny Baines each claiming two, leaving Uddingston on 140-9 before some late hitting from Azhar saw them finish on 175-9 after their 50 overs, with Ayr emerging victors by 42 runs.

The Cambusdoon XI began the first of their double header weekend with a victory over Meiklriggs in a rain-affected match.

The visitors' opening batsmen made a solid start before Daivid Baines and Harry Boyd started the Cambusdoon fightback as they claimed three quick wickets. The home bowlers then continued to take control and restricted Meiklriggs to 185-9.

As in the previous week, the Cambusdoon top order were in fine form with Niall McCrossin (39) and Callum Henderson (37) putting on 85 for the first wicket, with Richie Borland (23no) and Ross Mitchell (16no) leaving Ayr on 139-2 when the rain arrived after 26 overs, ending the match and leaving Cambusdoon winners by 61 runs on DLS.

The following day, Cambusdoon batted first away to Marress, but were in trouble early, losing opener Callum Henderson for a duck and then losing more wickets at regular intervals as they were bowled out by the Irvine side for 77.


Lewis Lilley made an early breakthrough in the Marress innings and though they kept on claiming wickets the home team appeared to be in complete control at 75-6, needing only three runs for victory.

However, Mickey Maxwell then dismissed Ingram, and with the scores level on 77 Lewis Lilley and Maxwell claimed the final three wickets as the match ended in a tie.

This week sees Ayr on their travels, away to league leaders Clydesdale in the Western Union on Saturday, Kilmarnock in the McCulloch Cup on Wednesday and Ferguslie in the Rowan Cup on Thursday.

The Cambusdoon XI are at home to Whitehaugh in the league on Saturday and also at home to St. Ninians in the Western Cup on Tuesday night.