A FANTASTIC season ended in heartbreaking fashion for Marr RFC as they lost out in the Scottish Cup final.

It was always going to be a tough task at Murrayfield on Saturday, as they took on undefeated Tennent's Premiership champions Hawick RFC.

Their opponents had only failed to win on one occasion this season - a 20-20 draw with Selkirk in their first match of the season.

And the South Ayrshire side had already been beaten three times by Hawick this season, with the tighest game being a 17-10 loss in the Premiership play-off semi-final.

Though Marr gave themselves hope of an upset, leading 6-3 in the first half as tough conditions limited both sides to only penalties being scored.

However, the spectacular travelling Troon crowd was not enough to see them over the line with strong second half showing seeing Hawick win the match 31-13.

The game very much opened up in the second 40 minutes, which made for an entertaining affair but ultimately cost Marr.

They were outscored by three tries to one in that second half, as tough conditions meant mistakes were made at Murrayfield.

The first came as winger Jake Jacobson saw a high ball slip through his hands on the halfway line.

Hawick's Ronan McKean latched onto the loose ball, knocking it over full back Calum Inglis' head, and managing to dive onto the ball beyond the try line despite both Inglis and Jacobson chasing back.

It was this moment which seemed to turn the tide, as Marr looked to answer back with a try of their own to get ahead again.

Though again, it was the kicking game which played a key role in the contest as Hawick went over the line for a second time.

A deep kick by their opponents was collected by full back Inglis - though as he looked to send the ball back immense Hawick pressure saw the kick blocked.

The ball then fell kindly to Hawick hooker Fraser Renwick, who slid over the try line.

Hawick were made to work for the final try of the game, with some slick passing through the back line finished off by full back Kirk Ford finishing in superb fashion despite strong efforts from his opposite number in shifting him into touch.

Ford finished the match with 18 points, and certainly seemed to be the difference maker on Saturday.

Marr, who trailled by 25-6 after their opponents third try, then gave themselves a small glimmmer of hope as Conor Bickerstaff found a gap and bundled over for the sides only try of the match with 15 minutes still to play.

But two more penalties from Ford finished off that slim hope as Hawick emerged victorious.

Though Marr were cheered on until the final moments by a terrific crowd who were rpoud of the side regardless of result.

Those fans paid homage to the side after the match on social media.

One said: "I loved my evening at Murrayfield. Never imagined when leaving the college 40 years ago I would be watching the sons of my peers playing on the hallowed turf.

"A day to remember. Thanks to all who made it happen on the pitch and off it at Marr."

While another added: "Heads held high guys! You did the club and supporters proud to just get to the final and gave the supporters a brilliant day out at Murrayfield.

"Super proud of you all to get to the final. A win would have been the icing on the cake for sure but maybe next year boys!"

Opponents Hawick also commented: "A fantastic contest between two excellent sides, an intense and hard-fought match with no quarter asked or given, showcasing the very best of Scottish club rugby.

"Huge respect between both set of players who know each other very well after four cracking games this season.

"You had the best of the first half by really taking it to us, a we had to pull out a big second 40 to get over the line.

"Thanks for the game - see you next season."