After a break of seven months, football returned to Dam Park as Whitletts played host to Newton Stewart in a pre-season friendly.

And no doubt Vics boss George Grierson will have been pleased with what he saw as his side turned in a fine display to run out comfortable winners.

Vics started well and early on an Isaac Kerr volley bounced over the bar from a Callum Ogston corner but in the 14th minute the home side made the breakthrough.

Sean Ewart slipped a great ball into the path of Marc Walker and the striker marked his debut with a fine strike to beat keeper Euan Drysdale in the Creesiders goal.

Newton Stewart almost had the perfect response as Ryan McKie bore in on goal only to be denied by a fine stop by Scott Johnson but Vics were in control of the proceedings and midway through the half they doubled their advantage. Louis Kerr controlled a Cammy Ross cross on his chest before volleying home from 15 yards.

Walker almost grabbed a second when he beat Drysdale to a 50/50 but Jordan Magee got back to deny the Vics striker. Moments later Louis Kerr went close with a header from a Ewart cross as the hosts had to settle for a two goal lead at the interval.

In the second period it was more of the same. Walker went close with an angled drive that slipped just wide but he was not to be denied and in the 57th minute he scored his second and Vics third of the game, cutting inside a defender before beating the keeper at his near post.

On the hour mark it was 4-0, Ross George tapping home a low Callum Ogston cross from six yards.

Manager George Grierson made a number of changes that saw the introduction of Jordan Boyd in a striking role and his incessant running terrorised the visitors defence as he went on to complete a hat trick.

His first goal came in the 69th minute. An excellent run down the left by Jordan Baird picked out Boyd who fired home from eight yards.

Isaac Kerr saw his header come back off the bar before Boyd got his second in the 80th minute.

Baird again breaking into the box but as he tried to make the opening for a shot the ball broke for Boyd who despite the best attempts of Drysdale, saw his shot bounce over the line.

Development squad player Blair Craig almost made a dream debut but he just couldn’t connect with a low Boyd cross with the goal at his mercy but the scoring was completed in the 89th minute.

Boyd completing his hat trick as he got on the end of an Isaac Kerr header from a Stuart Hannah free kick to beat the keeper.

Glorious weather for football and a fine performance from Vics as they prepare for a huge season ahead. The only thing missing was the fans. Hopefully they’ll be allowed to return to see the matches when the real action starts next month.

Whitletts Victoria 1. Johnson (Kirkland 86) 4. I.Kerr 5. Cameron 6. Davidson (Yair 76) 7. Dyer (Hannah 60) 8. Ewart 10. George (Tait 60) 12. L.Kerr (Craig 76) 15. Ogston 16. Ross (Baird 60) 18. Walker (Boyd 60) Sub (not used) 9. Forsyth Newton Stewart 1. E.Drysdale 2. R.McKie 3. Macdonald 4. R.Thomson 5. Whyte 6. Anderson 7. R.Drysdale 8. Forrester 9. Sneddon 10. A.Thomson 11. Scott