Tennent's National One



TITLE-chasing Marr 1st XV had another long trek to play in the Borders where so far this season their efforts had brought scant reward with no wins from of their previous three outings against the other NL1 Borders sides.

Changes saw Callum Steel start in the back row and Andrew Mill added to the bench.

About 40 Marr supporters travelled to Poynder Park and along with the players, coaches and backroom team they enjoyed Marr’s first win of the season in Borders country. However it wasn’t all plain sailing as Kelso put up a resolute defence and had a real go at attacking Marr. Deservedly they led 9 – 3 as half time approached and it took a magical moment for Marr to open the scoring with a converted try. Pressure won a penalty and from the advantage Marr’s pack created a huge rolling maul and managed to drive over for a team try

In the second half Marr exercised more dominance and convert pressure into points.

Finding Kelso’s wide defence relatively sound and secure Marr relied on forward power to blast holes through to the try line. As a consequence four of the five tries came from players in the pack. This gave Marr a comfortable lead and in the final quarter they started to try to play wide and cut loose. Kelso responded well and held firm so it took a creative play from Colin Sturgeon to finally unlock the defence. After a breenging run from Conor Bickerstaff the ball was recycled and Sturgeon put in a deft cross kick targeting Scott Bickerstaff on the right wing. As the ball was fielded it was spilled but fortunately for Marr it bounced backwards and ended up in the hands of Jack Scott who was in close support and he touched down in the corner.

Marr Rugby 1st XV man of the match – Conor Bickerstaff

Tennent’s National Reserve League One



AT Fullarton the 2s, including nine recently promoted Marr College players made their debut in senior rugby. Facing the runaway league leaders Marr found the going tough playing against a side that included six players who had last season played against Marr’s 1st in the Premiership. The opening quarter was evenly balanced as Marr held their own but then Heriot’s started to find gaps and exploited dominance in the set-piece scrum. They started to add tries but found Marr’s defence no soft touch. Marr had a couple of good phases of play where they managed to get close to the Heriot’s line but couldn't break through. In the final quarter Heriot’s added their final scores as Marr tired. Despite the loss the coaching team assessed that the new players had really stepped up and with further opportunities would start to blend into the senior side and there was real promise.

Tennent’s West Reserve League 1:



School Rugby

A BUSY day of rugby action for Marr had started well as a reshaped College 1st XV delivered a comprehensive win against Ayr/Wellington beating them 33-7. With nine of the U18s squad unavailable as they had been called up to support the seniors lead coach Gregor Ness took the opportunity to field a squad with one eye on forthcoming fixtures and the other on next season.

The first half was an impressive display of pressure, possession and territory as Marr pinned Ayr down in their half. Only some desperate defence and some over ambitious play restricted the scoring and at half time Marr led 7-0. In the second half Ayr opened the scoring with a converted try but Marr immediately responded through two quick tries as they exerted a real grip on the match. They added two more to close out the game and remain unbeaten against Ayr this season.