McBookie Premiership



By Stewart McConnell

REVENGE was sweet for the Seasiders as they made amends for their 3-0 defeat against Buffs at Abbey Park in August.

This was far from a classic owing to the awful conditions, but Troon just edged it in terms of their commitment and desire against a Buffs side who were on s high after racking up two straight wins.

Troon forged an opening in four minutes when Scott Chatham slipped a precision pass towards Dylan Pooler inside the box, but the latter was adjudged offside.

Former Hearts ace Christian Nade was dispossessed by Tommy Maitland after chasing a long through pass and he knocked the ball out for a corner in six minutes. From the resultant set-piece, Dean Keenan shot wide 18 yards from goal.

Buffs had an opening in 15 minutes when the ball broke to Jamie Whyte 25 yards out but he ballooned it wildly over the bar.

Ryan Stevenson then set up Christian Nade who turned and shot just wide from 20 yards in 20 minutes.

Buffs were unlucky in 25 minutes when a 30-yard effort from Ryan Nisbet was well saved by Scott Johnstone.

Keenan then shot narrowly wide from 20 yards four minutes later.

Marc McKenzie came close for Buffs in 32 minutes when his 25-yard shot was spilled by Johnstone. But there was no-one to follow up.

Troon had the best chance of the match so far in 39 minutes when a 16-yard effort from Pooler was deflected behind the goal.

Stevenson sent a cross into the box in 50 minutes but found no takers. The same player fired in a 20-yard shot which was palmed away by Adam Strain two minutes later.

Troon finally went ahead in 58 minutes when Stevenson showed his class by twisting and turning before shooting home from 14 yards.

The hosts doubled their lead in 62 minutes when Pooler ran on to a long through ball. And was left one-on-one with the goalie before netting from eight yards.

Buffs had their first chance of the half in 68 minutes when a 22-yard effort from Carlo Monti was well saved by Johnstone.

The Abbey Park side had the ball in the net in 75 minutes when former Troon man Former Troon man Mark Curragh netted from eight yards but it was chalked off for offside.

Buffs pulled a goal back in 86 minutes when Bryan Boylan shot home from 12 yards.

Troon came close two minutes into stoppage time when a Danny McKay shot from 12 yards hit the post and came out.

TROON: Johnstone; Reilly, Sherrie, Keenan, Strachan, McCreadie, Chatham, Nade, Stevenson, Pooler. Subs: Love, Murphy, Clark, McKay, Fulton.

KILWINNING RANGERS: Strain; Whyte, McCloskey. Maitland, Syme, Fleming, McKenzie, Lewis, Boylan, Wardrope, Nisbet. Subs: Taylor, Pettigrew, Curragh, Monti.