SUPER Ayr United were victorious when Glasgow Sport held the inaugural Over 65s Walking Football Glasgow Cup supported by their partner Prostate Cancer Scotland last Wednesday.

The event was officially opened by Gary McLaughlin Chair of Walking Football Scotland who addressed the 16 teams and 150 players from all over the country. The tournament was divided into four sections of four with each team playing each other twice but only the section winners qualifying for the semi-finals.

Ayr United found themselves in a tough section along with Alloa, Midlothian and Kirkcaldy which provided some very close matches.

Ayr opened their account with a 1-1 draw against Alloa after conceding an early goal but followed this up with a 1-0 win over Kirkcaldy and a goalless draw with Midlothian.

At the halfway stage Ayr, Midlothian and Alloa were all locked together on five points apiece although Midlothian held the advantage through a superior goal difference.

However, the Honest Men were to have a strong second set of fixtures and winning all three remaining games to top the group on 14 points.

A 2-1 win over Alloa after again going behind and solid 2-0 wins over both Kirkcaldy and Midlothian completing the job.

Would the semi-final draw be kind to the Somerset Parkers or would it throw up yet another ‘nail biter’ with ‘old foes’ Hearts of Midlothian? Ayr didn’t have long to find out the answer as the two were drawn together for a place in the final. However, following a slow start to the morning’s proceedings Ayr had now grown into the tournament and were showing a confidence which was to serve them well.

Although a close match was to ensue Ayr were rarely troubled and took the lead halfway through the game with a well taken goal from Tom Dowman.

As the match entered the final minute and Ayr on course for the final the referee adjudged that Ayr captain John Crawford had marginally infringed by stepping into the penalty box whilst shepherding a pass back to keeper Billy Agnew. Despite the Ayr protests a penalty kick was awarded and Heart’s Captain Jimmy Bremner converted from the spot to take it to penalties.

Now if anyone had known the history of penalty kick shoot outs between Ayr United and Hearts they night have suggested Ayr were ‘huge underdogs’ for this one given the Honest Men had previously lost every shoot out against the men from the capital city.

However, a penalty save from keeper Billy Agnew and goals from David Reid, Gordon Ferrie, Tom Dowman and Crawford saw the Honest Men safely through to the final.

The Glasgow Cup Final saw Ayr front up against the Gerihatricks who had defeated Glasgow Sport in the other semi-final by a single goal.

The final was keenly contested but again similar to the semi-final Ayr were rarely troubled.Despite the Gerihatrick’s keeper pulling off several fine saves and two of note from Ferrie and Crawford, the winning goal arrived from the boot of defender Billy Thomson to settle the outcome.

A massive thanks to organiser and co-ordinator Matt Ramsey and his staff of Glasgow Sport for an excellent tournament.

Skipper Crawford said: "It was a great achievement to win the event and nice to be beat Hearts on penalties since we lost to them in the Scottish Cup semi-finals. We all played well and deserved our success."