Ardagh Group West of Scotland Cup First Round



THIS West of Scotland cup tie was only a minute old when Bankies took the lead, Dillan Dunn getting of the mark for the season with a low free-kick into the bottom corner of the net.

Jordan Ryan beat his man and played the ball across to Euan Smith but his shot was blocked as the Bankies pressed to extend their lead.

In six minutes Bellshill were level when a deep cross into the box was met by the diving Jamie Stewart who had strolled past the bankies defenders.

In 23 minutes Danny Gray pulled off yet another spectacular save this season, getting a hand to a sweetly struck half volley, the ball cannoned off the underside of the bar and bounced on the goal-line before it was cleared.

Straight up the other end and Smith picked out Ross McManus, who in turned played in Dunn but Bellshill keeper Fitzpatrick was equal to his effort. Jordan Ryan had a shot blocked and then the Bellshill defence intercepted a Smith ball as Bankies pressed.

In 37 minutes, the Bankies were made to pay for a defence mistake ad a ball wasn't cleared properly, Jamie Stewart picked the ball up and finished low under Gray. Two minutes later, Smith cut the ball back for Dunn but his first-time effort curled just wide, then a minute later Lee McClymont drove down the left before firing a low shot which cannoned off the post.

With 47 minutes on the clock Danny Gray held a Bellshill free-kick and they shot wide nine minutes later as their neat passing play put the Bankies under pressure.

At the other end, Ross McManus pounced on a loose pass before driving towards goal but his curling shot was easily held by Fitzpatrick. On 68 minutes, Cammy Ross came close for the Bankies in a crowded penalty box but the Bellshill defence cleared and then Gray held another effort. The Bankies pushed on looking for an equaliser but ultimately it was to be Bellshill's day. In 87 minutes Eoghan McKeown danced his way through the Bankies defence before rounding Gray and finishing into the empty net.

Jack Taylor was dismissed near the end of the game for a second yellow card.

The match was littered by some puzzling refereeing decisions but let's take nothing away from Bellshill, the played some neat football and made the most of the hosts' failure to take chances.

ANNBANK UNITED: Gray; Wilson, McClymont, Sloan, Dunlop, Taylor, Smith, McLelland, Ryan, Dunn, McManus.