Scottish Junior Cup Third Round Replay


MUIRKIRK 4 (Girvan won 6-5 on penalties)

by Martin Rogan

THOSE privileged to see part two of this epic cup tie must be puzzling over why anyone would watch some turgid senior match when such magnificent entertainment is available locally at a fraction of the cost.

Girvan had the strong wind in their favour in the first half but when they eventually took the lead after 21 minutes it was an own goal. Rory Tait went on a good run down the right and his low centre appeared to come off Jordan Conlon and go into the net. One thing this Muirkirk side do not do is give up though, and they drew level within two minutes. Curtis Baxter's cross from the left was laid back by Keenan McVey to Conlon some 25 yards out and his explosive shot into the wind almost took the net away.

McVey's outstanding performance continued as he held off a strong challenge and passed to Stephen Campbell on the right. The latter's cross found David "Buster" Edwards criminally unmarked at the far post and he stooped to head 'Kirk into a 25th minute lead. Back came Girvan and Marc Cameron's ball into the box beat everyone on its way past the post. Great play created an opening for Darren Mitchell but 'keeper Nathan Bogle touched the shot over the bar then Greg Ferry headed over off Adam Caldwell's cross.

Seconds before half-time the home side equalised when Tait ran clear down the middle and although Bogle pushed his initial effort aside, Craig Harvey followed up to net. As in the first game, referee Ross Nelson's application of the offside law was vigorously questioned by Muirkirk but the sides went in level at the interval.

Four minutes into the second half Girvan went 3-2 ahead from a corner kick by Tait, and Ferry was allowed a free header that gave Bogle no chance. Once again, however, Muirkirk bounced back and from Peter Marshall's free kick, McVey headed the ball on to Andrew Murray whose close range header beat 'keeper Ally McInnes to make it 3-3 in 67 minutes.

Three minutes later, as Girvan screamed for a penalty, Bogle cleared the ball to Edwards on the left and he took the ball to the end line before threading a shot past the goalkeeper and two defenders from the tightest of angles to give Muirkirk the lead again. As the tie entered the closing stages Girvan pushed for another equaliser and it came when Murray's attempted clearance struck Danny Wilson and rebounded into the net

In the penalty sequence McVey, Daryl Macdonald, Michael Howie, Edwards and Lee Cruikshanks all netted for Muirkirk while Davie Jardine, Mark Doolan, Tait, Harvey and Ferry did likewise for Girvan. Bogle saved from Mitchell while McInnes denied both Baxter and Conlon so it fell to Caldwell to win the tie for Girvan...and he did.

GIRVAN: McInnes; Caldwell, Ferrie, Mossie, O'Donnell, Cameron, Tait, Lamont, Mitchell, Harvey, Wilson.

Subs: Jardine, Doolan, Barrett, Milligan, Sisi.

MUIRKIRK: Bogle; Baxter, Peck, Howie, Murray, Marshall, Campbell, McVey, Edwards, Conlon, Macdonald. Subs: Mee, Cruikshanks, Porte, Fitzpatrick, Cunningham.