Tennent's National League One



MIGHTY Marr survived a real test from a resurgent Aberdeen Grammar side, who had been unbeaten at home this season, to grab another important bonus point win and with GHA slipping away against Kelso leapfrog move to top spot in National One.

It was a real seesaw affair with the lead changing 12 times as both sides fought tooth and nail to find the edge and grab control. In effect they cancelled each other out with strike and counterstrike as neither managed to gain significant advantage of more than a single score lead. It wasn’t until the closing stages before Marr managed to open up a two-score advantage that they held on to in the face of determined final efforts from Grammar to close the gap and either win or at least grab a losing bonus point.

In a match filled with pressure and pace both sides excelled and delivered an exhilarating performance for the big support. Mistakes were pounced on and defences were given a strenuous test. Gaps were found by both sides with a total of thirteen ties being scored during the match. Nevertheless there was some outstanding defensive work, in particular by Grammar who twice found themselves reduced in numbers as players were sin-binned and managing to survive a torrent of Marr attacks.

Marr opened the scoring within five minutes as Mackenzie Pearce bulldozed through from close range. As the supporters caught breath Grammar pounced on a dropped pass to counter-attack and level the score. This started the seesaw of scoring that lasted almost the entire game. Neither side managed to get real control nor achieve any more than a single score advantage. It was only at 75 minutes on the clock that Marr pressure gained a try scored by Ollie Rossi to extend their lead to two scores.

Marr’s backs confidence and performance improved through the game. After the previous week’s scoring exploits Tom Steven was well marked with at least two players targeting him anytime he got near the ball. This attention created space for others to exploit although several promising breaks were stopped by determined cover defence.

Despite the disappointment of conceding so many tries Marr stuck to the task and in the end, under the great leadership of captain and man of the match Conor Bickerstaff, came through a tough test.

Visiting clubs will struggle to get points from trips to Grammar.

Marr Rugby 1st XV man of the match: Conor Bickerstaff

Tennent's West Reserve League One



AT Fullarton, the 32 supplemented an under-strength Dumfries 2s side with the loan of four players to allow the match to be played.

Special mention and thanks go to Alistair Barclay, Paul Bray, Chris Helton and Jim McNiven for showing true rugby spirit and stepping up to make the temporary switch of colours.

Marr Rugby next fixtures, October 13: 1s – away v Selkirk; 2s - home v Watsonians; 3s - home v Allan Glen’s.