A DREAM 40th anniversary treble was sealed by Carrick Rugby Club as they celebrated one of the biggest days in their history on Sunday.

They won a league title for the first time as they captured the BT West One crown in style.

But it was a bitter-sweet triumph for head coach Gordon Brown, who is standing aside as head coach after eight years.

Needing one win from their final two matches, they sealed the deal in style, defeating Allan Glen's 52-26 in Bishopbriggs.

The league triumph came just two weeks after they became the first team to win the BT Shield for three consecutive years, following on from their West Shield triumph earlier in the season.

It was a stellar performance from the Maybole team in the weekend match and Lewis Clark was the star of the show, scoring five tries as his side took a grip of the game following a brief Glen's comeback.

Brown, who has been in charge for eight years said on Sunday: "Today rounded off 15 years of hard work with a stunning performance from a special group of players. All the experiences gained throughout their school days made today the best of my rugby life. Three West Shields, three National Shields and going from west Three to National 3 says it all!

"One man deserves special mention, John McHarg who has taught me everything I know and Raymond Festorazzi, I can't thank you enough for your guidance and support.

"This has been a really great 40th anniversary year for the club with all our successes. We have won promotions a few times before but never a title so it was great for us to finally do that. We have gone up the leagues from West Three and have worked really hard. There were a few celebrations which were well-deserved. But I will be stepping down as coach, although I will still be involved in youth rugby.

"I am starting a new post at Ayr Academy and now want to spend more time with my wife Kareen and my son Jack. They have been very supportive to me throughout the past few seasons."

It's set to be another huge day on Saturday, as Maybole will be presented with the Bt West One trophy, probably after the game, which they hope can be moved from a scheduled 3pm kick-off to 2.30pm.