BT Premiership



THE final round of BT Premiership matches saw Marr Rugby’s 1st XV secure a bonus point win against Stirling but this wasn’t enough to maintain their league place as results elsewhere consigned Marr to BT National League One next season.

Understandably there were mixed emotions, but when all is said and done Marr’s experience during the season will stand the players in good stead as they continue to ready themselves to play at the highest possible levels.

The experience and opportunities will live with all of the players involved during the campaign.

Marr have made a positive mark on Scottish club rugby and people know the passion, professionalism, commitment and enjoyment that is central to rugby coming out of Fullarton. Marr Rugby players experience and enjoy participating in high performance rugby in a community-based club, with good quality coaching helping their development. This season Marr’s players and supporters have benefited from the support provided by the professional draft players attached to Glasgow Warriors. Jean-Charles Fidinde, Oli Kebble, James Malcolm, Lelia Masaga, Greg Peterson and Samuela Vunisa have all pulled on a purple and gold strip and each has added something that will help the club as they move forward.

Who would ever have imagined they'd be playing alongside an All Black or other International capped player or watching this calibre playing for Marr. Of the group of Warriors, Greg Peterson rates special mention. His attitude and commitment to help Marr has been outstanding and exemplary in what Glasgow Warriors is trying to achieve in building relationships with community clubs. He is a fine ambassador for Warriors and a consummate professional.

For the final match it was another seesaw affair as each side quickly responded to scores to leave the match balanced at 17 points apiece as it reached the final 10 minutes. Stirling had opened the scoring after five minutes with a penalty conversion. For the rest of the quarter they soaked up repeated pressure from Marr before Ross Miller was in possession to touch down off a rolling maul. This was followed 10 minutes later by a second try as Greg Jackson finished off a breenging burst into open space by Greg Peterson who perfectly offloaded as he was tackled. Rory McGee converted to extend the lead and open a nine-point advantage. This was reduced 10 minutes later as Stirling battled back with a converted try.

Marr opened the scoring in the second half with a try in the corner from Conor Bickerstaff. The score came after Stirling conceded a penalty in their 22 metre area. As the defence prepared for a kick to the corner some quick thinking and a quick tap and go caught Stirling on the hop and Marr extended the lead. This only last another 10 minutes as it was Stirling’s turn to catch Marr’s defence as sixes and sevens, allowing Craig Robertson a clean run in for a converted try to level the score.

Marr kept plugging away and extended pressure in Stirling’s half generated a series of penalties.

As play progressed to the try line Stirling continued to concede penalties and sensing blood Marr opted to play off a scrummage platform. Eventually referee Steven Turnbull awarded Marr with a deserved penalty try. In the remaining five or so minutes Marr continued to press and as the match drew to a close were rewarded with a further penalty. This time Rory McGee had the final say with a converted kick.

As the final whistle blew Marr trooped off with heads held high knowing what they now needed to do to play at the highest level of club rugby and with determination to achieve this.

Marr Rugby man of the match: Angus Johnston.

BT Reserve National League Two



MEANWHILE Marr Rugby’s 2nd XV delivered a convincing win in the second plays third placed match against local rivals GHA. The result leaves Marr in a great position in the race for promotion as the league reaches its closing stages.