THIS weekend we take another look at some of South Ayrshire's most fascinating stately homes.
It comes courtesy of author Alex F Young, whose new book 'The Country Houses, Castles and Mansions of South Ayrshire' features 95 famous and not-so-famous properties.
Filled with photos, the book takes a detailed look at the stately homes that left their mark on the region.
And in our final extract, we look at two more amazing properties.
DALQUHARRAN CASTLE
Dalquharran(Image: Contributed)
The original 15th century Dalquharran Castle on the right bank of the Water of Girvan was abandoned and left to decay by the Kennedy family in 1790.
When Thomas Kennedy (1752-1819) decided to build the ‘new castle’ he engaged his brother-in-law Robert Adam, one of whose better-known works was Culzean Castle.
Set on the hill above the old castle, the new work, built between 1785 and 1790, had three public rooms, a smoke room, library, business room, 17 bedrooms, four bathrooms and eight W.C.s, with ample servant accommodation – and lit by acetylene gas.
Thomas was succeeded by; Thomas Francis Kennedy (1788-1879), Francis Thomas Romilly Kennedy (1837-1892), Thomas Francis Kennedy (1872-1896) and John Campbell Kennedy, who died at Dalquharran on 21st November 1934, aged 61 years.
By January 1935 the estate was on the market for sale, and the contents cleared at a three day auction in the May.
The timber merchant Adam Wilson & Sons of Troon bought the estate but, as their interest was in the woodland, gave the mansion to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association, becoming their 50th hostel, with 100 beds in 50 rooms.
In November 1939 the estate was bought by John Stewart of the agricultural merchants, Hutchison & McCreath,of, Girvan, but in 1940 was requisitioned for the Glasgow Society for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb, of Langside School.
In 1946, when the school returned to Glasgow, John Stewart returned to the estate, which he farmed until the 1960s.
The removal of its roof in 1967 reduced its rateable value, but increased its rate of decay. In the intervening years redevelopment promises and plans have come and gone.
KILLOCHAN CASTLE
Killochan Castle from the south in 1936(Image: Contributed)
An inscription above the entrance reads – "This work was begun the 1 of Marche 1586 be Ihone Cathcart of Carleton and Helene Wallace his spouse" and adds a quotation from Proverbs 18:10: "The name of the Lord is a strong tower."
As the Cathcart family had held the lands since the 14th century, the work could have been an enlargement of an original keep or a new build. Bleau’s map of 1662 shows O Killochan standing to the east of Killochen Cast.
Having succeeded to the estate on the death of his great-uncle, Andrew Cathcart (1783-1828), Captain John Andrew Cathcart of the 2nd Lifeguards (1810-1878) and 5th Baronet of Carleton was the owner in 1854 when the Ordnance Survey Name Book was compiled.
The surveyor reported: "The kitchen garden is detached from the house a little way and something like the house too, it is kept in very indifferent order."
In 2022, it opened as a luxury retreat.
The Country Houses, Castles and Mansions of South Ayrshire is available now from Stenlake Publishing, priced £21.95.
Share