Two men have been hit with football banning orders after a fight between Ayr United and Kilmarnock supporters in the centre of Ayr more than two years ago.

Ayr fan David Scobie and Kilmarnock supporter Fraser Hannah both pleaded guilty to breach of the peace charges.

Scobie, 54, and 29-year-old Hannah admitted conducting themselves in a disorderly manner by engaging in a stand-up fight with several others unknown to prosecutors.

The brawl took place on New Bridge Street on the evening of March 11, 2022 - shortly before a televised derby match between the two rivals at Somerset Park.

Hannah, of Irvine Road in Kilmarnock, and Scobie, of Corsehill Crescent, Coylton, were both fined and banned from attending football matches.

Scobie's solicitor told Ayr Sheriff Court that an assault on his client's son had led to his becoming involved, and that Scobie had been injured by a bottle.

The procurator fiscal depute said: “There was a football match on the day in question. 

“Just after 7pm, Kilmarnock supporters were exiting the Anchor Bar, walking across the New Bridge Street. 

“At the same time Ayr United FC supporters were walking towards supporters at the bridge.

“Thereafter there was a large scale disturbance. 

“Police officers present attempted to stop the fight. 

“The co-accused and the accused were both seen exchanging punches with other unknown males. 

“Police intervened and separated the parties." 

Scobie's solicitor Ian Gillies said: "He is a 54-year-old man and is divorced and unemployed.

"His son, aged 21, became involved and went to get him out, and Mr Scobie was hit with a thrown bottle.

"It’s fair to say he did engage, and ended up in A&E, receiving not stitches but glue.

"He really shouldn't have got involved.

"I understand the co-accused was a Kilmarnock supporter."

Sheriff f John Montomery fined him £420 in total, including a payment to the Scottish Government surcharge scheme.

He was also banned from attending football matches for 18 months.

Hannah had received the same sentence at an appearance before the same court on March 6.

Kilmarnock won the live TV clash 3-1 thanks to goals from Rory McKenzie, Oli Shaw and Jack Sanders to move top of the Championship - a position they would retain until sealing the title the following month.