Residents of retirement flats have told of their terror as they watched what they feared was toxic dust blow onto their homes from last week's Station Hotel fire in Ayr.

And the Kyle Court residents say they have been "left in the dark" by South Ayrshire Council over damage to their cars and property caused by the blaze.

Edward Cole, 64, says his six week old Jaguar car has been left "blistered" by burning embers from the fire.

He said: "The car melted. It needs a complete paint job. There were blazing embers flying past our windows."

Ayr Advertiser: Ted's new car was left blistered by burning embersTed's new car was left blistered by burning embers (Image: Anne Levey)

The Kyle Court residents were warned they could have to be evacuated from their homes, as fire crews battled to extinguish the flames across the rail tracks from the private properties.

Edward, chair of the resident's group, said: "We were told by police there was asbestos in the hotel. Now the council are claiming that's not the case. 

"The emergency services had proper masks on throughout and we were told to stay indoors.

Ayr Advertiser: Some of the Kyle Court residents

Anne Levey, secretary of the Kyle Court resident's group, added: "We were warned by ambulance and police on Monday night that we may be evacuated as there were confirmed reports of burning asbestos and all emergency personnel were issued with protective face masks whilst we were told to keep doors and windows shut.

"We were not allowed to drive cars away from the car park as the air around our development was heavily contaminated from the burning building so we had no choice in the matter.

Ayr Advertiser: Smoke covered the Kyle Court area the following day

"For over 36 hours we watched as debris continually rained down on our building and we will have to get specialist cleaners to remove this hazardous material.

"We are all pensioners, some on Pension Credit, so we should not be held liable for a fire that was outwith our control. 

"We have been forgotten about. The council are taking no responsibility for it at all.

Ayr Advertiser: The hotel blaze, seen from Ayr's Kyle Court

"There was still a load of smoke all over the area the following day. The smell was horrendous.

"There were half a dozen cars damaged. Ted's car is bubbled on the bonnet from the hot embers. It was quite frightening."

A South Ayrshire Council spokesperson said: "The former Ayr Station Hotel was handed over to South Ayrshire Council by Emergency Services on Thursday, September 28.

"Our Health and Social Care Partnership liaised with Care at Home and Community Nurses in Kyle Court to ensure the welfare of tenants during the incident and will continue to do so.

"Asbestos monitoring has been carried out and this has come back clear.”