A MOTORIST has been jailed after a terrifying high-speed car chase through Ayrshire which ended with a police car crashing into a tree.

Two officers had to be taken to hospital after the crash near Dundonald – with cops clocking Dylan Wycherley doing speeds of more than 100mph.

Wycherley, of Springside near Irvine, appeared in court for sentencing last week after pleading guilty to driving dangerously and failing to stop for police.

The chase began on the A759 Main Street and Troon Road, between Loans and Dundonald, on October 5, 2020.

The procurator fiscal depute told Ayr Sheriff Court how police on duty in the area had first seen Wycherley driving a silver Audi A3 at speeds “well in excess of the 40mph limit”.

Wycherley, the court heard, looked at the police vehicle and appeared to notice that he’d been seen, but continued to accelerate away.

The cops gave chase but 28-year-old Wycherley drove away, running a red light, crossing into the opposite carriageway to overtake another vehicle, and navigating a roundabout at high speed.

At this time, police noted he would have been clocking up speeds of more than 100mph.

When he reached Dundonald, he overtook a cyclist and then performed an emergency stop, forcing police to take evasive action by swerving to the right.

The police vehicle then struck a tree as a result of their evasive manoeuvre, but Wycherley – whose car, the court heard, was “heavily smoking” at this stage – accelerated away before eventually parking the car elsewhere and making his escape.

The two officers were taken to Crosshouse Hospital for treatment to bruises and whiplash following the crash, and were released the next day; Wycherley’s vehicle was later recovered.

The offence was committed while Wycherley was the subject of two bail orders granted on separate occasions at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court.

Wycherley’s solicitor said his client had moved to Springside from his previous home in Liverpool “to get away from issues there”.

He was jailed for nine months, backdated to March 31, and was banned from driving for three years.