The mum of an 11-year-old boy who was tasered by police at Ayr's Craig Tara Holiday Park has insisted he was "only armed with a butter knife".

The claim comes after the mum said that he lashed out because he was throwing a tantrum about not being allowed a Burger King.

Footage shared online and with media outlet The Scottish Sun seems to show a young boy holding a knife in his hand, pointing it towards police officers.

He is told to put the knife down by officers as they approach him.

The boy is then seen to be tasered by police.

READ MORE: Highgrove House Hotel: Hugh Grant wows diners at Troon restaurant

Speaking to media outlet MailOnline, his mother slammed the actions of the police and said: "He was terrified and was no danger to them at all. Why on earth did they Taser him?

"You can see in our video how frightened he was.

"He had kicked off because his cousin got a Burger King and he couldn't get one because it was closed by then. And then he ran off.

"I had to phone the police because he was somewhere he doesn't know and I couldn't find him myself and I was panicking - he wouldn't feel confident to ask someone to help him find his way back.

"When the police arrived and as they were approaching, he grabbed a butter knife and just ran with it.

"The police all came at him with their Tasers. It was like something out of a film or a video game."

The mum-of-one said that her son was vulnerable and suffers from global developmental delay - a condition which causes children to take longer to reach certain developmental milestones.

She is now demanding an apology from police and is exploring taking legal action.

"It was all just so extreme,' she continued. "It was so scary for him. They Tasered him and he hit his head on a fence and had to be taken to hospital.

"He's been left with a scar on his leg as well and his tracksuit was all ripped and he had to be taken to hospital to be checked over.

"It's just pure negligence on Police Scotland's part.

"My son didn't speak for about two weeks after the incident because he was so traumatised. It's just been awful for us all.

Sign up to an Ayr Advertiser Newsletter HERE

"I've had no apology from the police following the incident, I'm raging about it. They've said nothing to me.

"I keep getting asked for statements from people higher up, but I've had no apology or anything.

"My son was terrified. I don't understand why there were so many of them surrounding him.

"If there had just been one or two and they had calmly spoken to him, none of this would have happened.

"They didn't take into consideration his age, or the fact that he has learning disabilities. It's an absolute joke."

It has been reported that the incident, which occurred on March 22, is now being probed by police watchdogs.

Responding to media reports at the time, the force said the incident would be referred to the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (Pirc) “as part of standard procedure”.

A Pirc spokeswoman said: “Police Scotland referred the use of Taser to Pirc as is required.

“We are investigating the circumstances, and once our investigations are complete a report will be issued to the chief constable.”