Whitletts' winless run stretched to six games as they fell to a narrow defeat at Dam Park.

Blantyre Victoria came to South Ayrshire at the weekend and won 1-0, adding to Whitletts' misery after Neilston had also picked up three points in Ayr midweek, winning 3-1 at Dam Park.

Saturday was a game in which Vics played some good football but a lack of cutting edge in the final third proved to be their downfall.

On many occasions throughout the match they worked themselves into good positions but failed to take advantage and now they face three cup finals over the next ten days if they are to avoid the drop into the Second Division.

There was little between the teams. Blantyre threatened first when Andrew Gallacher was sent clear but he fired his angled shot wide of Louis Kerr’s goal.

The Dam Park side's first real chance was when Jordan Boyd got to a Jamie Wyilie cross ahead of the Blantyre keeper but prodded the ball wide.

Gallacher was a threat for the visitors and, following a great run by the winger, it took the intervention of Ross George to block Scott Jarvie’s goal attempt. From the resulting corner Nadeem Zeb’s attempt was blocked on the line by his own player.

It was Blantyre’s best spell in the game and Louis Kerr had to come to Vics' rescue when his outstretched leg prevented Sam McNee from opening the scoring.

The midfield play from Whitletts was good and when Davie Blyth and Jordan Boyd linked up to set up Blyth in the box, the youngster could only shoot tamely at Stephen Barr.

In the second period Jamie Bowman went close for the visitors when he took the ball past a defender but fired inches wide across goal.

It was an even game but the home side's play failed to create any clear cut opportunities.

When Kerr saved a Gallacher shot, Scott Jarvie’s follow up was blocked by Kris Brown whilst at the other end Dean McColm had a great chance when Blyth released him in the box but again a tame effort allowed the keeper to save.

One goal was always going to win this game and it was Blantyre who got it in the 72nd minute. The impressive Gallacher working his way into the box and his squared pass across the six yard box gave Jarvie the easiest of opportunities to fire home.

Whitletts stepped up the pace of the game and flung everything at the visitors in an attempt to get back into the game. Dean McColm had a great chance as he got on the end of a cross but his diving header was wide of the target.

Then from a throw in, the ball fell kindly for McColm in the box but a desperate challenge from Euan McLew saw the defender clear the ball over his own bar as McColm looked set to score.

Now Vics travel to play St Roch’s on Wednesday night before completing the season with two home matches against Johnstone Burgh on Saturday and against promotion chasing Drumchapel United the following Wednesday evening.

In terms of relegation it now looks like it will be any two from three between Vics, Cumbernauld and Bonnyton as to who will join Rossvale in the Second Division next season.

Whitletts need to find a return to winning ways starting with their visit to James McGrory Park this Wednesday.