A THUG who carried out a brutal revenge attack on a man he believed was responsible for assaulting his cousin has been jailed.

Lee Niblock tried to wriggle off the hook by telling police the victim of the savage assault was “already injured” when he arrived at the scene.

Niblock assaulted the man to his severe injury, while acting with another, after turning up at the man’s address in School Avenue, Tarbolton on April 22 last year.

The 37-year-old punched his victim on the head, causing him to fall over, before repeatedly kicking him on the head.

Ayr Sheriff Court heard last week that Niblock went to the property after being told the man had assaulted his female cousin the previous day.

Procurator fiscal depute Rosslyn Walsh said: “The accused punched the witness, causing him to fall to the floor.

“He lay on the floor covering his head with his hands – he didn’t think it would stop.

“The accused left in a vehicle.

“Police attended, observing swelling to the face and dried blood.

“Police traced a black Mazda with the accused and a female in the car. They admitted they had been at the location.”

Ms Walsh said Niblock had spoken about the victim to police, saying: “He was already lying injured.”

The victim of the attack received a CT scan in hospital and was found to have bleeding on the brain and other head trauma, requiring treatment at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow.

Defence solicitor John Gallagher said: “The evening previous she [the accused’s cousin] made contact by video call and saw significant injuries to her [cousin’s] face and body.

“She was informed the complainer was responsible for inflicting the injuries.

“[Niblock’s sister] intended to confront him, and asked the accused to attend with her.

“He threw a punch, knocking him to the floor, and kicking him to the head.

“I appreciate there is a record before the court. There are no matters outstanding.”

Sheriff Shirley Foran said she could see “no alternative to a custodial sentence”.
Niblock, described in court papers as an inmate at HMP Kilmarnock, was jailed for 30 months, backdated to April 25 last year when he was first remanded in custody.