The former bingo hall on Dalrymple Street in Girvan has set alight and work is currently under way to extinguish the blaze.

It is not yet known what has caused the fire, which began around 11am today, or the full extent of it, but from pictures there appears to be a lot of smoke emanating from the top of the building.

Those who live next to the building are being told to stay in their homes.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 11.34am on Tuesday, May 4 to reports of a building on fire at Wesley Place, Girvan.

“Operations Control mobilised two appliances to a disused property and crews are still in attendance.

“There are no reported casualties at this time.”

The crumbling building was recently purchased by South Ayrshire Council, in October last year, for a fee said to be around £80,000.

The former vogue cinema was in a state of disrepair and had been abandoned for more than a decade at the time of purchase.

They had plans to demolish the building.

South Ayrshire Council have been approached for comment.