A man and woman have been hospitalised after a fire broke out in an Ayr flat over the weekend.

Emergency services attended the fire at Princes Court on Saturday, November 21, at around 4.50pm.

The fire was extinguished by Scottish Fire and Rescue.

The occupants of the building were evacuated for a short time and a man and woman were taken to Ayr Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

It is believed that the blaze was started deliberately.

Police are now appealing for information on the incident.

DC Janet Ferguson at Ayr CID said: “We are treating this incident as wilful fire-raising and I’d like to speak to anyone who may have seen anyone hanging around the area acting suspiciously.

"Anyone with information should contact police at Ayr via telephone number 101 quoting incident number 2573 of November 21 2020 or alternatively Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 where anonymity can be maintained."