A BUTCHER has thanked kind hearted members of the community who have helped him re-open his shop after a devastating blaze.

David McKay’s Butcher was engulfed in flames when a suspected electrical surge sparked a fire which destroyed the interior and severely damaged the timber roof.

Five months on and owner Davy has re-opened his shop - just in time for Christmas.

The Advertiser previously reported how the butcher was serving customers on a busy Saturday afternoon when the disaster struck leading to the pavement to shake leading up to the inferno.

There had been earlier reports of power problems at a nearby chemist which had prompted a call to Scottish Power.

Smoke began to engulf the neighbouring Simpsons Bakers first before the fire spread to Davy’s precious shop.

Despite the damage to his business and his livelihood, he’s just grateful that nobody was hurt.

Davy said: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped me through this traumatic time which is thankfully now past.

“A big thanks to my family whose support has helped me to get back to where we belong, and all my friends and customers for their help and good wishes.

“I would also like to thank James, Hamish and Ross at Dalduff; Jake and Margaret Nisbet from Sorn. Thanks as well to my shop neighbours, David Kiltie and Maybole and Ayr fire brigades who all helped everyone avoid serious injuries or worse on the day of the fire.

“A massive thank you to Billy Galloway from H20 plumbing for being project manager and a massive support. John Jamieson, James Harper electricians, Paddy and Chris the joiners, oor Ross and Michael who all went over and above the call of duty to get the shop reinstated.”

“I would also like to thank the painter, Andy Dowie, who came in at the last minute and did a great job.”