AN ELDERLY woman had a near miss after a blaze broke out in her Troon home.

Two fire engines rushed to the scene on St Meddans Street where smoke was billowing from the pensioner’s kitchen after a pot was left on.

Police also attended the incident where they say the woman took unwell which caused the mishap.

Another resident was caught up in the incident and was seen by paramedics as a a precaution.

Neither casualty was injured. Police said the pot was smouldering and the prompt arrival of emergency services was vital to the residents’ safety.

The street was closed off shortly after 8.30pm on Wednesday, April 10 while emergency services dealt with the incident.

A spokesman from Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 8.56pm on Wednesday, April 10 to reports of a fire within a flat on St Meddans Court, Troon.

“Operations Control mobilised two fire engines to the scene, where crews extinguished a small fire within the kitchen of a sheltered housing flat.

“Two casualties were passed into the care of Scottish Ambulance Service personnel and were given precautionary checks, but neither required hospital treatment.

“Crews ventilated the property and left at 10.15pm, after ensuring the area was made safe.”

Locals grew concerned as the whole street was closed but police confirmed this was standard procedure and to secure the safety of those involved. A spokesman from South Ayrshire Police said: “South Ayrshire Localities Officers along with Scottish Fire and Rescue attended a flat fire in St Meddans Street, Troon.

"The pot was smouldering when emergency services arrived. The call was made as the smoke grew bigger. The fire was safely extinguished and all are safe.

“St. Meddans Road was closed for a short time but is now open again.”