McBookie Ayrshire District League



BANKIES were back at New Pebble Park looking to build on the positive draw with Ardrossan two weeks earlier, but were up against a Craigmark side fresh from a fantastic win against Cumbernauld in the West of Scotland Cup.

The match was only two minutes old when the hosts were forced into a change after Steven Harris twisted his knee and was replaced by Jack Taylor.

An early Craigmark corner was curled right on top of new goalkeeper James Hart but he punched clear off the line. A Jordan Barr shot for Craigmark was blocked in11 minutes as they started the brighter side.

'Mark were rewarded for the positive start in 21 minutes as a throw in on the left was squared across the box, Hart managed to get a hand on the ball but couldn't prevent it falling to Craigmark captain Ryan McKay who converted.

The Bankies came back into it as the half wore on as the ball was played into Dillan Dunn but his shot was easily held. The ball was quickly worked up the other end as Craigmark won a corner. From that corner Hart was forced to push the ball over the bar as again Scott Dempster played it right on top of him.

Annbank then broke down the pitch through Daniel Wilson who skipped past a challenge but his shot was blocked and then Ryan McKay shot wide for Craigmark. As Craigmark looked for a second Jordan Barr looked to be in but was met with a great challenge by Tommy Sloan and the ball was cleared. However Craigmark would have a second before the half was out, another wicked corner delivery was pushed out by James Hart but only as far as Jordan "Crusher" Barr, who fired home. Dunn then shot over for the top for Bankies as the half came to a close.

United started the second half brightly as a good passing move between the front three resulting in the ball being played back to Lewis Blair but his shot was saved. A long goal kick by McClymont went straight through to Bryce Reid but his attempted lob over Hart also cleared the bar. Meanwhile at the other end and a lovely corner delivery by Andy Hainey was met by Grant Kirkwood but his header went wide. A Craigmark effort after Hart had been caught out was fired over the bar and then Hainey had a free-kick well saved by Matthew McClymont as the Bankies tried to push their way back into the game.

Hart made a good low save in 66 minutes and then a curled shot went narrowly wide of the post. Youngster Euan Smith was introduced to the game and he made an immediate impact as he skipped by the Craigmark left back before drilling a cross along the floor but this was cleared.

Hart made another fine save as the home defence allowed the ball to run, believing Reid was offside. The Craigmark forward was left one-one-one with the Bankies keeper but he stood tall to touch the ball around the post. With 77 minutes played, Euan Smith was played in by a back heel from Andy Stevenson but his shot across goal went agonizingly wide. Craigmark had the chance to see the game off in 85 minutes as a cross cannoned off Tommy Sloan's arm. The referee pointed to the spot and McKay stepped up, however he blazed his effort over the bar. Hart made another two fine saves for the Bankies as the game drew towards a conclusion. However. wasn't over yet as Declan Dunlop latched onto a squared pass to finish low into the corner and seal victory for the visitors.

ANNBANK UNITED: Hart, Harris. Kirkwood, T.Sloan, Barrett, Hainey, L.Sloan, Blair, Wilson, Dunn, Stevenson. Subs: Taylor, Smith.

CRAIGMARK BURNTONIANS: McClymont; Lamont, Whitaker, Maxwell, Barr, Boyle, McKay, Dyer, Reid, Dempster. Subs: Johnson, Dunlop, Gaw, Hall, Wilson.