TWO men who teamed up to murder a Prestwick man have been jailed for life with a minimum of 14 years each.

Former pub landlord Harry Hood and Ross Russell carried out a savage attack on Arthur Green at his home in Prestwick, Ayrshire in November 2014.

A jury heard how Hood's mum and dad had endured years of hassle at the hands of the 60 year-old and his family.

The 46 year-old flew into a rage when it emerged the old couple's window had been smashed.

Hood and 35 year-old friend and convicted thug Russell later went to Green's home where he was punched, kicked and stamped to death.

In a rare move the judge slammed the local council for failing to act and encouraging the pensioners to move.

Jailing the pair today (Thursday) judge Bill Dunlop QC said: “The reaction of the council which I heard was disturbing.

“That they should make themselves homeless and move to an area away from the place they loved living in and to leave their home was frankly disappointing, wholly inadequate and on one view, cruel.

“That failure to act on the part of the council was explained to the court as due to there being no corroboration, as a lawyer I can say that's nonsense.

“I am afraid I am driven to conclude that the council went for the easy option, persuading the good guys to move would be simple and more straightforward than evicting those causing the trouble.”

Green's young grandson made the grim discovery of his dead body the next day.

The duo boasted they had “got away with murder” after police initially believed Green had fallen.

But, during a fresh investigation, Hood and Russell were held by detectives.

Hood's 76 year-old dad Harry snr told how Arthur Green had been a 'nightmare' to live beside.

The pensioner said his street had been a lovely neighbourhood for him and his 72 year-old wife Sadie.

But, that changed big time when Green moved in around four years ago.

Mr Hood said the “24/7” noise was “horrendous” and that a dog barked at “all hours”.

He told the court: “I blame him (Green) because he was inviting the people there. He was just a neighbour from hell.”

The OAP ended up keeping a log of their problems with police and the council being called in.

But, the couple were targeted again days before the killing when their window was put in.

Mr Hood recalled a run-in he had with James Philbin – the boyfriend of Green's daughter – who he nicknamed “headbanger”.

He told the jury Philibin threatened his wife and was warned the police would be called.

He said: “The daughter's boyfriend then threw a half slab through the window where I had been sitting before.”

The shocked couple initially went to live at their own daughter's, but returned adamant they would not be forced out.

However, their angry son plotted to get revenge.

It lead to Hood and Russell turning up at Green's home late on November 19, 2014 after they had been playing in a pool tournament.

Green was then battered to death in a brutal attack. The force of the assault was so severe his heart and liver were burst.

Russell got his 36 year-old brother Dale to torch the trainers he had been wearing.

The next morning, the victim's daughter Elizabeth Green went to visit her dad and recalled her son finding Green.

Police initially believed the death was suspicious – but that suddenly changed when it was then reckoned Green had suffered an accident.

After learning this, Hood turned up at the garage where mechanic Russell worked.

Russell was said to have stated they had “got away with murder” as the jury heard both were “laughing about it”.

Russell also told a workmate that they had “kicked f*** out of him”.

But, the colleague was so sickened, he made an anonymous call to the police.

Amid a new probe, Hood, of Ayr, and Russell, of Maidens, both Ayrshire, were arrested.

A sick text saying “a bit of his head stuck on my boot” was later found to have been deleted on Russell's mobile.

Both gave evidence during the trial and effectively blamed each other.

Hood– a pool hall owner who previously ran bars in Ayrshire – denied even being inside Green's house.

He admitted going to the street that night with the Russell brothers, but only to make sure there was no “carry on” affecting his parents.

Hood claimed he had been at the back of the property before spotting the siblings coming out the front.

He said Ross Russell told him he had given Green “a slap”.

Russell insisted it was Hood “in a blind rage” who attacked Green.

He said he had been outside when he heard shouting and then discovered Hood inside the house.

He told the jury: “He was basically giving him a doing.”

Dale Russell, of Girvan, Ayrshire, had also been charged with murder before prosecutors dropped the allegation during the trial.

He instead pled guilty to attempting to defeat the ends of justice by setting fire to his brother's trainers and given a community payback order with 300 hours of unpaid work.