Police have confirmed a woman was found dead in a flat at the scene of an ongoing incident.

A man is also currently in hospital with serious injuries after emergency services rushed to the scene at Main Road around 5am and 6am this morning.

A police spokesperson said: "Around 5.25am on Wednesday, November 28, police received a report of a man found with serious injuries within a property in Main Road, Ayr

"Emergency services attended, and a man was taken by ambulance to hospital for treatment. And as yet, an unidentified woman was also found dead within the property and her death is being treated as unexplained at this time.

"A post mortem will be carried out in due course."

Reports have suggested a stabbing took place in a flat where forensics have been in and out of. The property is part of a four-in-a-block building.

Detective Chief Inspector Alan Sommerville has spoke of recent incidents in the area and stressed today's is not linked to last week's stabbing. He said: "Our enquiries are at a very early stage as we work to establish the exact circumstances surrounding the incident. Efforts are underway to identify the woman. 

"Officers will be carrying our door to door enquiries for any information which might assist us to find out what has happened here. 

"If anyone has any information we would urge them to contact us."

Superintendent Brian Shaw added: "I understand that there will be heightened concern in the local communities of Ayr since this is the second serious incident to happen in recent days, however, I can confirm at this time that this incident is not linked to the serious assault which occurred at Ailsa Hospital on Thursday 22 November.

"Whitletts Road and Main Road remain closed as officers continue their enquiries at the scene.

"I would like to reassure people in Ayr that officers are dedicated and committed to this enquiry. There is no threat to the wider public, however, additional officers will be in the area to provide reassurance and anyone with any concerns should approach these officers."

Shops next to the incident were told not to open this morning. A worker there told the Advertiser: “The incident has happened in the flats along the road.

“I was told I wasn’t allowed to open the shops this morning, but the police wouldn’t tell us why.

“I just went back home and now we are allowed to open the shop again.”