AN Ayr was terrorised in her home by robbers posing as police – after her partner put an expensive watch for sale online.

21-year-old Courtney McCreadie was with a young child in January this year when the raiders burst in.

One brandished a large knife as they yelled at her: “Where's the Rolex?”.

The robbers eventually went on to steal a £10,000 Volkswagen car owned by Miss McCreadie's boyfriend. But, one of the thugs helped get himself caught when he suffered a flat tyre during the getaway.

The crime emerged as Christopher O'Brien, 29 and Patrick McHugh, 41 last week appeared at the High Court in Glasgow.

The duo pled guilty to assaulting and robbing Miss McCreadie at her house in Ayr. They were remanded in custody pending sentencing next month.

Miss McCreadie was at home on January 22 when she heard loud bangs at the front door.

Prosecutor Kath Harper said: “She could see three people outside. She heard a male shout: 'It's the police'.”

A hand and arm then emerged through the now damaged door to try and open the lock. Miss Harper added: “It was then forced open and three men ran into the house.

“They had used a 'rammit' device – the type used by police – to force the door.”

The court heard Miss McCreadie quickly realised the armed strangers were not police.

O'Brien raced upstairs while McHugh and the unknown accomplice confronted the terrified woman. Miss Harper said McHugh was clutching a large blade.

The advocate depute added: “He and the third man shouted at Miss McCreadie demanding money and shouting: 'Where's the Rolex?'.

“She repeatedly told them she did not know what they were talking about. Her partner had previously advertised a Rolex watch for sale on the internet.”

The robbers ransacked drawers before demanding the keys for a Volkswagen Golf parked outside. McHugh threatened Miss McCreadie stating: “Don't play daft.” His mystery accomplice claimed he would kill her dog after she initially insisted not to have the keys.

The thugs eventually escaped – two went in the Volkswagen while McHugh left in his own Renault Megane. But, McHugh suffered a puncture in Ayr meaning he had to stop.

Miss Harper said: “He went to a petrol station and a supermarket looking for help.

“He was recorded on CCTV from which he and his car were identified by police.”

McHugh was later held – but claimed: “I'd never rob anybody.” O'Brien was caught after his DNA was found on the “rammit” device.

The Volkswagen Golf meantime was discovered in a lock-up in Glasgow's Royston with no wheels.

Hugh McHugh, 40 was also charged with being involved, but prosecutors accepted his not guilty plea.

Lord Arthurson deferred sentencing for reports.