Two phosphorus flares are known to have washed up on Carrick beaches in the last week.

Ballantrae Coastguard was called out last week after a flare washed up at Lendalfoot.

And on Saturday a member of the public posted the above photo to social media .

It shows a phosphorus flare ignited at Ballantrae Beach.

A spokesperson for Ballantrae Coastguard said: “The high winds make these more likely to wash ashore.

“Do not touch them, they can cause severe burns to your skin.

“Exposure to the air makes them dry out and they can ignite bursting into flames causing a toxic chemical – do not inhale.

“If you see this please stand well back, call 999 and ask for the coastguard.”