A man crashed his car while high on drugs then assaulted a policeman with his bloodstained t-shirt.

Mitchell Woods, of Strathayr Place in Ayr, collided with a grass verge after driving erratically on the A70 between Holmston and Joppa Road on April 28.

The 25-year-old appeared at Ayr Sheriff Court last week for sentencing, having previously pled guilty to three charges.

Procurator Fiscal Miss Pigeon told the court that a woman and her friend were travelling on the A70 at around 8.30pm when they saw the car in front of them and swerving over the road.

The vehicle bordered the white centre line and drifted into the opposite carriageway.

Due to the erratic driving of the car, the woman slowed back from the vehicle. She then witnessed it strike a grass verge a number of times.

A short time later, the witness saw that the car had veered over the carriageway onto the grass verge, where it flipped over three times.

Onlookers called an ambulance.

The driver, Woods, left his vehicle and sat on the bumper. He said he had taken Diazepam earlier that day. Witnesses noted his speech was slurred.

The fiscal said: “Police arrived and noted he was heavily under the influence of drink or drugs.”

Woods provided a specimen of breath, which gave a zero reading. He was taken to Ayr Hospital as a precaution but was found to be uninjured and was released. He was then arrested.

While at Ayr Police Station, a small bag containing white powder fell from Woods’ trousers. It turned out to be 0.6 grams of cocaine with an estimated street value of £20.

He was then asked to remove his t-shirt which was blood-stained. Woods took the top off and threw it into the face of one of the police officers.

Solicitor Tony Currie said that his client had taken “a substance he hasn’t taken before” and “that’s what led him to be completely unfit”.

Mr Currie added: “It was very fortunate no other vehicles were brought into this and the damage was done to his own vehicle. I think it was rather fortunate that he wasn’t injured.”

Sheriff Desmond Leslie said: “I think your result Mr Woods was the fact that you didn’t kill yourself.”

Woods was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work in six months with 18 months supervision.

He was banned from driving for two years and was placed on a curfew.