An application to give the interior of South Ayrshire Council, headquarters, a make over was submitted at the end of April and a decision has yet to be made.
The proposed alteration to the County Buildings seek to remove two dado height partitions and storage cupboards from room F05.
Neither of these items are thought to be part of the original construction. The works will also include forming a door opening between rooms F05 and F06.
If approved this will be finished to match all original features, including skirtings, picture rail and cornice, the door its self will be made to match existing doors within County Buildings.
All work would be dealt with sensitively ensuring minimum impact on the room and it’s original features. This comes as demands are high for regeneration work to be completed in Ayr, Prestwick, Troon and Girvan Town Centres.
It was reported, by former cllr Bill Grant, at a public meeting that trees have been replaced in Park Circus, Ronaldshaw Park, Bellevue Street and Bellevue Crescent which are all part of the conservation area.
The cladding work in King Street area is a joint programme with energy companies. The aim is to reduce heating costs and provide a secondary benefit of improved appearance.
Chairman of Fort, Seafield and Wallacetown community council Norman McLean agreed it is cosmetically much improved.
Mr Grant continued his report, noting the beautiful terrace cottages in Elba Street replacing the old Elba Court. Similar affordable one-bedroom housing is being built in Woodlands Crescent and in the Kincaidston area.
The original County Buildings were constructed between 1818 and 1822 by architect, Robert Wallace.
They included the administrative offices, the Sheriff Court and, at the western end, the County Gaol.
With the increase in responsibilities of Ayr County Council resulting from the Local Government (Scotland) Act of 1929, however, it became clear that the original accommodation was inadequate.
The prison, therefore, was demolished and work began on a large extension.
The new building housed the entire administrative work of the County, each department being provided with suites of rooms to suit its requirements.
In planning the offices, the architect saw to it that the ranges accommodated one room and corridor only in depth, ensuring ample light and good ventilation.
From the entrance hall rise two semi-circular staircases, giving access to the Council Chamber and a suite of committee rooms. There are also six large windows with leaded stained glass light the staircases.